Thursday, February 26, 2009

Back in action




Sorry about the gap in the ole blog folks, but I have been on the road covering Northeast MS the past two days and fighting off a head cold which has been brutal. But I am back in the game.

First train of thought for today comes from me watching the Biggest Loser last night.
They kicked a guy off last night for losing 100 pounds in 8 weeks, that is down right amazing. I like it once they kick the person off and they show his/her story of how they got to be so fat and then what they look like today. He had just run a full marathon with his hot wife who probably weighed 110 pounds. Well that got me thinking, they should make a show with the bases of it getting an average guy, and turning him into a stud physically. I mean mentally, I am there, now I just need a little fine tuning on my physique and I would be the full package, but thats ok I will just stick to my spin class, but if any of you out in cyber space find a show like that, please let me know.

I hade the opportunity to be in Oxford after work on Tuesday to catch part of the opening game from renovated Oxford University Stadium/Swayze Field and it was amazing. I would say it was 95% done with some minor work left to be done, but it is just a different setting, it's almost like its not real, like I don't believe that it has happened. We started off slow, but the bats came alive. The left side of the infield doesn't look strong, we need Button back, none of the guys have an arm like Coghlan, Cozart or Tolbert. We have a big test this weekend in TCU as they recently beat a top 5 team in Cal St. Fullerton.

Other things happening in Oxford....
Drink specials that didn't occur while I was in school are happening now. New bar next to the lanes on Jackson, which used to occupy Rio Grande Mexican joint is now a bar called Brass Monkey and is supposed to have the feel of a Flying Saucer. They had $2 pitchers, $.75 draft and $1 long necks -- with no cover. People I have talked to said its pretty neat on the inside. I have yet to go in but will report back on Monday.
Another new place is the po-boy and daquri place called Funkys, I drove by it and it was slammed, the only place in Otown where you can get a hurricane or a frozen drink other than a margarita or frozen belleni.
How come it happens that whenever you leave somewhere cool stuff happens: IE: Elementary School: New Play Ground -- Middle School: New Gym -- High School: New Baseball Uniforms and Gear -- College -- New bars, coach, drink specials, stadium, indoor basketball facility. Geez, this isn't fair!!! I need to be a lifelong learner.





Looking forward to this evenings episode of Hells Kitchen... Gordon Ramsey is the man.


What did you give up for Lent? Me, Cussing, fried foods and bread. I got no support from anyone when I mentioned cutting out the booze for 40 days, people thought I was crazy. Anyway, back to work before I go get my little league coaching ID card made and turn some paperwork into the parks department.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The owners of Funky's are our age Ian. Went to OM. It's a pizza place too. I went in there last Saturday night after leaving the Library while they were touching up some of the inside. It was pretty cool inside. Lots of memorabilla stuff and pictures hanging on the wall. It'll be interesting to see how they do.

asdg said...

ahh i see. well it looked really cool on the inside when i was driving by