Friday, February 13, 2009

Lunch Time Talks

So I just went to lunch with a good friend of mine that I spoke about previously, Brandon Hudspeth. He was driving through on his way to Nashville and we ate at a Tex-Mex place in Bartlett called Abuelos, a chain from Texas. He does not like to eat out with me, because I think everytime we go out to eat, it's Tex-Mex or Southwestern Style. I get mad because he calls queso, cheese dip. He gets mad because he, like others thinks all Texas people are the same and that we are crazy for thinking our Mexican Food is better. Well it is Brandon, and other people from the south who seem to think El Porton, El Charro or El (fill in the blank) are better than our food. Not a chance in hell, see we take a little pride in our food. Despite the 5 Texas Caliber Tex-Mex places I have been not having A single Mexican work in one, yet still manage to produce the level of food and atmosphere any snobby Texican is looking for.
1. Cozymels on Poplar in Memphis
2. Swankys on Poplar in Memphis
3. Abuelos in Bartlett
4. Cocina Superior in Birminham
5. SATCO in Nashville

I just don't understand how outsiders can think of the local mexican to be good.
a) they don't fry their own chips. Brutal.
b) they buy canned/jar salsa. Brutal
c) they call queso cheese dip, and its white. Epic Brutal.
d) they use table salt for their margaritas. FAIL.

Just really chaps my ass folks. So frustrating. When I go to a Tex-Mex, I am looking for homemade tortillas, fresh chips, nice decor and damn margarita salt that is grainy not fine.

While at lunch we quoted several lines of Katt Williams and Dave Chappelle, which lead me to the question, who do you think is better? I swear I think we could go an entire conversation in complete quotations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC2dYVxO9vw




O boy. I can smell the crawfish in the air, and can imagine what a walk off home run is going to look like at new swayze with this . . . goosebumps....

No comments: